“Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany, was commissioned by Ludwig II as a homage to Richard Wagner.
“In 1868, the ruins of existing medieval twin castles were demolished; the old keep was blown up. The palace was built in brick and later encased with other types of rock. For about two decades the construction site was the principal employer of the region. The heirs of the 30 construction casualties received a small pension.
“In the end, Ludwig II only lived in the palace for a total of 172 days.”