P.R.K Blackman Boot and Shoes were originally established in 1935 as a purveyor of cheap, quality shoes to the Jewish community around Brick Lane, London.
It was also the first shop in the UK to stock Doc Martens.
Today, 2013, Blackman’s is still a father and son business. And, according to various internet sources. They buy well-made shoes from factories at times when business is slow, thus ensuring low prices, then they sell them on cheaply to a loyal fan base.
Originally at 28B Cheshire Street, the shop has moved down the road to it’s current location at number 42.
According to one of the owners. The shop at 28B originally never existed. After WW2, His father bricked-up what had been an empty space, an alley, and started trading. Adding the number 28B to make it look official.
Throughout the 1960′s, 70′s and 80′s if you wanted Dr Marten’s, then Blackman’s was the place to go. In 1977 a pair of Cherry Red 1460′s (8 hole DM’s) were £10. They are still only £58 today. They also stock Solovair.
A quirky, short video on YouTube gives an insight into the father and son who run the shop: http://youtu.be/S11yK4jBN9Q .