“The third German Antarctic Expedition (1938–1939) was to find an area for a German whaling station, and to scout possible locations for a German naval base. The secret expedition placed Nazi German flags on the sea ice along the coast. Naming the area Neu-Schwabenland after the ship, the expedition established a temporary base.
“Seven photographic survey flights were made by the ship’s two seaplanes. About a dozen 1.2 meter-long aluminum arrows, with steel cones and three upper stabilizer wings embossed with swastikas, were air dropped onto the ice. Altogether they flew over hundreds of thousands of square kilometres and took more than 16,000 aerial photographs.”