1912: Titanic Survivors

“Louis and Lola” were Michel and Edmond Navratil, four and two. They were known as the Titanic Orphans – the only children rescued without a parent or guardian.

“After Titanic’s collision, their father placed Michel and Edmond in the last lifeboat successfully launched from the ship. Michel later claimed to remember his father telling him: “My child, when your mother comes for you, as she surely will, tell her that I loved her dearly and still do. Tell her I expected her to follow us, so that we might all live happily together in the peace and freedom of the New World.”.

“M. Navratil died during the sinking. Since the children were toddlers and spoke no English, they could not identify themselves. French-speaking first-class passenger Margaret Hays cared for the boys at her home until their mother, Marcelle, could be located, which occurred as a result of newspaper articles including their pictures. Marcelle sailed to New York City, New York and was reunited with her sons (below) on May 16, 1912.”

- Wikipedia

About The Author

Curator

Goggles aficionado. Retronaut’s founder and curator.

1. Kari

This is amazing. I had no idea these sort of pictures existed of that night/morning. It is also interesting to notice the difference of the lifeboats. One of them appears to be a collapsible. Amazing piece of history. Thanks for sharing.

2. qka

IIRC, about half the lifeboats on the Titanic were collapsible. Still not enough lifeboat seats, and what boats they had were not filled to capacity, as shown in these pictures.

I’m assuming #11 is “Unsinkable” Molly Brown?

3. Alan Bickerstaff

That is indeed Molly Brown. And didn’t they do well picking Kathy Bates to play her part in the film. The likeness is uncanny.

4. Anne B.

I wonder why M. Navratil was traveling with his toddler sons, but not his wife?

5. Ken

At the Smithsonian National Museum of American History in Washington DC they have the Kodak Brownie that took some photos of the survivors(some I think are posted here) on display.

6. Harry A. Beger Jr

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW MANY ME, NOT COUNTING SHIPS CREW,SURVIVED. WHO WAS THE YOUNGEST CHILD TO SURVIVE & IS SH OR HE STLL ALIVE? WHO WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SINKING? & WHY?

7. Ken Sweeney

Hello Harry. The number of survivors varys a bit but it was about 715. The youngest child to survive was Millvina Dean who very sadly passed away 3 years ago.

8. Mikey

M. Navratil had actually kidnapped his 2 boys, he and his wife were going through a very nasty divorce and custody battle. As for “Molly” Brown, anyone who knew her called her Margaret, she was NEVER known as “Molly” until she was so named in the fictional musical about her life.

9. mary moynihan

The two lttle French boys were handed to my grandmother, Mary Kelly she was in the last boat. She took care of the boys until they landed in New York. They looked up my grandmother years later, she lived in Brooklyn at the time. I’ll bet their conversation was a good one…..

10. vicki lee

Oh my goodness, Mary!!! Your grandmother was on the Titanic?! You actually had the privilege of hearing a first-hand account of this sorrowful event-a tale filled with such tragedy and heroism.

11. Kevin Clinton

Mary kelly was my great great aunt, would be great to find out more information about her my grandad lawrence clinton was her nephew

12. Sean

The man on the 16th photo being carried off Carpathia with bandaged feet was Harold Bride, one of the Marconi Operators. The senior Marconi operator Jack Phillips went down with the ship.