1939-1945: U.S. Air Force personalised bomber jackets

1. mary martha

Technically they were US Army Air Corps. The Air Force didn’t become a separate branch until after WWII.

2. Mark D. Wrona

Thanks for sharing. These were nice to see again. Have you seen the bomber art display at the Confederate Air Force Museum in Midland/Odessa, Tx?

3. buddy66

The U.S. Army Air Corps was changed to U.S. Army Air Force early in the war; and then, after the war, it became a separate branch. An old master sergeant said of the new blue uniforms, “We’re going to look like Greyhound bus drivers!”

4. Ed Burns

My Dad, Edward John Burns Jr., was a Bombadier on the Miss Behavin’ – 15th Air Force Army Air Corp, 98th Bomb Group stationed in Leci, Italy in 1944-1945. They flew a B24 Liberator. A Purple Heart recipient, he flew 28 missions before being shot down and critically wounded toward the end of the war.

My Dad was the last of his crew and passed away this past July 8th, 2011. He still has an pending application under review (submitted by his pilot,Sam Wilson, before he too passed) with the Pentagon for a Distinguished Flying Cross for bravery in combat related to his last mission where he and his pilot, were last out of a badly disable aircraft, bailing at 1,300 ft ( my Dad) and Sam at an estimated 700 ft from the ground. These men, all of them, were a special breed.

He once confided to me that the Tuskegee Airmen flew his wing and he told me that they were the finest of pilots and that he owed those men his life.

God rest his soul. God, keep safe all who defend us and our families.

5. M. Stevenson

Thanks for the link to the photos – these men were never turned back from ANY target by enemy action, no matter how rough. They could be turned back by command, by weather, or mechanical difficulties, but NEVER by the Germans or Japanese. Extraordinary courage was a daily virtue. What a wonderful inspiration for our day and age. How sad so few schoolchildren know anything about this. BTW the only part of ANY U.S. armed service that had a higher casualty rate than the AAF, and in particular the 8th – then 15th Air Forces – was the Army’s infantry branch. All branches of all other services fell below the inf and AAF in their loss rates. Thank you for your service, and sacrifice!!

6. Dr. Thomas M. White, Ph.D

Brings back so many memories of my Dad’s jacket… As a kid I used to put it on and play Army…it was only about 10 sizes to big but I didn’t care because my Dad was my Hero..As a B-17 Pilot in WWII and home safe I couldn’t be more proud and happy ….I got to play some more war but this time for real…Vietnam for 2.5 years Navy Seal Team 2
    Anyway …love the jackets and the memories …

Doc

7. TR

I’m venturing a guess that the number of bombs on the jacket indicated the number of missions they flew?

8. michael flory

i wish i still had my dads flight jacket it was taken along with all the photo albums i would give any thing to get them back his jacket had a b29 bomber (loaded eleven) with bombs for the mission painted on back a patch with nick name on front (sparky)