Futuro House

“Futuro House is a round, prefabricated house of which less than 100 were built during the late 1960s and early 1970s. It was designed by Matti Suuronen as a ski cabin that would be “quick to heat and easy to construct in rough terrain.” The end result was a universally transportable home that had the ability to be mass replicated and situated in almost any environment.”

- Wikipedia

Futuro House Futuro House Futuro House

Sources: FuturoHouse.com / Futoro-House.net

Submitted by: Steve Pankhurst

About The Author

Curator

Goggles aficionado. Retronaut’s founder and curator.

1. freemdoom

They dropped one of these in the parking lot of our town shopping center in the early seventies. They used it as a temporary bank while a new bank was being built.

2. Garland Boy

I grew up in Garland, Texas and the Futuro House shown in Rockwall, Texas sat in a parking area close to the old Safeway meat packing plant on Garland Road at Shiloh Road for years. At the time it was painted a light blue and I can still remember climbing inside with friends to smoke weed. At the time, it still had some of the original built-in furnishings inside but all of the electrical wiring and appliances had been stripped out it. I always thought it would make a cool weekend cabin and I like looking at the photos above where some lucky folks had the opportunity to do just that. How cool is it? Love to see one restored.

3. Andre

When I was a kid I always saw one of these things up on it’s side in an industrial part of town down by the tracks in Christchurch, New Zealand. It stayed there for as long as I can remember. Unsure what happened to it as of the earthquakes, I haven’t been there.

4. Simon

I remember seeing one just back off the beach at Fort Pickens, Florida, some years ago, might be the third one down.

5. Jon

No, No, NO..it’s called “2001 Odessey”. Mons Venus is just down Dale Mabrey. Trust me! lol

6. Charlie Horgan

I’d love to get one of these and mate it to a Jacque Fresco Trend Home as a sort of guest room/observation lounge 2nd floor. Also I’d love to have the sort of spending money that would make such a project not completely stupid.

7. Jeff Blanks

OK, so why don’t we have more buildings like this? You’d think they’d at least be an option, but no–it’s just a hundred tiny variations on “neo-traditional” (because apparently futurism has been rejected by the public, apparently because simple up-or-down votes accurately represent absolutely everybody’s personal desires). At least there’s a sort of neo-Bauhaus vibe making some headway, but that’s not the whole answer.

8. Brian

I’ve a couple of pics…an interior & exterior of one that my Godfather had in his garden in the UK when I was a child. I’ll send them across to a reg email address if requested.

9. StevePW

There’s one of these located at 9573 Hwy 276, Royse City, TX 75189. It looks to be in pretty terrible shape – no windows, completely stripped down and the interior is covered in graffiti, and it looks to have been abandoned for many years. So many people here keep saying that they’d like one of these houses, I wish one of you guys would rescue this thing and restore it!

Here’s a bad cellphone picture of it.