1900s: The Cafe From Hell, Paris

1. Filip

And next door you have a place called “Le ciel”, which means “heaven”

2. Lucas

Creepy! Adding to the bizarreness of the scene is that the bar next door is named ‘le Ciel’ – French for ‘heaven’.

3. KulkulkanX

It’s a shame it didn’t survive, as it would be a great venue for black metal concerts!

4. N.

There is a discount store there now (53 Boulevard de Clichy). Satan manifests itself in mysterious ways.

5. N.

The last picture is from the famous french photographer Robert Doisneau. The same place is in one of the Eugene Atget’s documentary pictures of the old Paris.

6. Wendy

Love this place. Wish it was still around and in the U.S. Reminded me of how I still want to open a haunted house bar/restaurant.

7. Michel

There was a less-elaborate copy of L’Enfer at the end of an alleyway in central Brussels. It had a ‘no one under 18 admitted’ policy which – as a 3-year-old – I felt was an infringement of my human rights.

8. Y-fighter

Lovely! Reminds me of Le Macabre on Meard Street but much more ornate…

9. Jerry Cargil

I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and tracked down this cafe. The name still exists at the same address, but the edifice and interior are gone. It looks now just like any other cafe.

10. Tracey

a sculptural paraphrasing (albeit a good one, and brilliantly employed!) of the original in Rome, which dates back to the 16th century:

Also reminds me of the Giardino dei Mostri in Bomarzo, outside of Florence–a whole garden’s worth of monsters, obstacles/games through which you pass on to . . . heaven?

And also reminds me of the name of a bar in Mexico City which a friend who’d lived there in the 70s had told me about: “The Liver Doesn’t Exist”. I’ve always loved the spirit that came up with that one.

Cheers, ya’ll! See you in hell!

11. Russell Darnley

Some elements of Balinese art incorporated into this. In particular the face over the entrance is reminiscent of the Bhoma figure that recurs in Bali, also as Kala in Java.

12. Mark Wallace

Wow – F Scott Fitzgerald’s short story “Babylon Revisited”, set in 1920s/1930s Paris features a “Cafe of Heaven” and a “Cafe of Hell” decorated along these themes. Presumably these are photos of the venue he had in mind?