1890-1910: Street photography, Ireland

Earlsfort Terrace

Earlsfort Terrace

Man with umbrella, Nassau Street

Man with umbrella, Nassau Street

Pictures by J.J. Clarke

1. VonsterVon

I really REALLY love these, some of them are so touching, and the snapshot quality…how did he achieve that? I really want to keep some of them…how do I do that? the one with the lady with the bicycle, it’s like a back in time version of me…

2. Anne Hill Fernie

Thanks for that link Chris – the ‘woman on a wall’ is gorgeous……..

3. Jehanne

These look so candid for the time. Like someone had mentioned earlier, they have have this uncanny “snap-shot quality.” I’m not used to seeing old b&w photos where subjects aren’t stiffly posed. How did this photographer do it? I didn’t know they had film that fast back then. At first, many shots seem amateur; like someone who’s gotten their first drugstore instant camera but with them come these accidental(?) moments of genius. The “woman on the wall” looks, for a fleeting second, a Victorian Venus di Milo.

4. Trevor

Hi Chris, I think at least a couple of the photos were not taken in Dublin but in Rhyl in north Wales.The child on pram and the Punch and Judy shots both show the buildings on the east and west parade in the background,the girl on the bike shows what appears to be the pier entrance on Rhyl prom entrance booths (shape of windows)flag poles (but could be somewhere else I suppose).
    Regards Trevor

5. dexotaku

Love the images .. but dispute the copyright claim. These images should be fully in the public domain. Scans are not derivative works.

6. pim

This is like watching tumblr in the 1900s would have been like ;) No kidding, I love it. I do agree with dexotaku though.

7. Trish

Sounds like you don’t know your Irish history Jacky – have you ever even been here? Fantastic photos.

8. Kieran Dónal McElligott

Tremendous photographs…takes me back to some old photo’s that my late mother had when she was alive of Derry, however, when she died, my father burnt them as not to be reminded of her & the past…as he said, that her picture of her is in his mind forever, & that will never change.
    Tho’ i still think it was a shame to have burnt them, as i have nothing left of her memory, except what i can recall of her.

9. Peadar Ó'Colmáin

I really love the photos – I recognize quite a few of the places in them. I’m walking past them all my life – Nassau Street is so familiar to me. They look very genuine to me. Most of the places haven’t changed. Number 3 is a bit suspect – I can’t recognize it. Number 5 is definitely in Bray, Co. Wicklow.. Well done – retronauts.

Peadar, Dublin, Ireland, Wednesday Morning 30 May 2012.

PS – Actually Trish should be more fair to Jacky – he does know his Irish history.

10. Oldgreyfella

Actually Jacky is indeed showing some ignorance of Ireland and Irish history. He seems to assume the well-dressed people are English and the occassional peasant-looking type is Irish. There was of course a flourishing Irish middle-class and there is no reason to think anybody (except perhaps the sailors) is anything other than Irish. Even one of the nationalist demonstrators is wearing a top-hat.