August 1913: Colour photographs of Cornwall

Decayed thatch cottage in a Cornwall village

Decayed thatch cottage in a Cornwall village

Cobbled alley in St Ives, Cornwall

Cobbled alley in St Ives, Cornwall

Pictures by Auguste Leon

1. Jack Jewers

Wow, those are incredible! I wonder if anybody could identify where they were taken?

It’s things like this that keep me coming back to this delightful site.

2. Ruth de Wynter

Bedford Park isn’t North London admittedley, but those gables are shouting Norman Shaw to me…

3. Pierre

The street nameplate is there on the wall, just to the right of the street-sweeper. Enhancement magician needed!

4. Steev

I’ve seen that last picture on his web site, it’s in Folkestone, not London.

Simon

Steev, that is a bordering on hilarious, deeply worrying, and genius, all at the same time. Thank you for going to the trouble of figuring this out. Big apology to all the Folkestonians out there…

5. Michele

Do you own these photographs? Is it the prints that are colored or the negatives? I am a digital librarian that deals in public domain images so the answers to these questions is important to me. I have some glass plate negatives that are colored but they were hand done. Or I assumed they were. Depending on your answers I may have to do some more investigation.

6. Cliff Simpson

Wow what memories I remember walking such roads as a youth and how posh they looked. Do you notice the open windows !
    wouldn’t happen to day.If the road sweeper is free he can come to my road littered with rubbish and weeds.

Thank you.

7. Amanda

Come to central London – there are road sweepers all over the place!

Wonderful photos, thanks for the post.

8. Les Hemmings

Thought it looked familiar! That Folkestone shot is a 5 min walk from my front door!

9. Emily Edwards

That top one, with the Cornish village, is a fabulous study of dilapidation, isn’t it? Wow, what a beautiful picture. It gets my Nosy Antennae twitching. I want to climb over the walls in the garden of the first house, peer in through the windows and try the door. Is it stone, with a cob top, I wonder? No idea. Brilliant website. Best Ever.

10. Colin Jackson

What’s amazing about that last one is how little it’s changed. Apart from the odd texture of the road and lack of road markings (why would you need them at buggy speeds?), and the mature trees, it’s hardly changed a jot. There’s even a post-box stood in the same spot (though presumably not the same one!).

11. Zo

tha war has been destroyed human several development and nature as well, and i see the picture above and come in my mind that how developed Englang and other Countries would have been today….. it would have been much much better and a far beautiful today if the war wouldn’t have been…..
    Let’s Join our hand and raise our voice toward peace and stop war and fighting.

12. Andy

Unbelievable coincidence!

In the St Ives photo, the fishermans cottage where the boy is leaning is a cottage which I hired for my family’s holiday 2 years ago! Its on a steet called ‘The Digey’ have load of photos of my kids in the doorway!

Great shots.

13. Endeara

I just found this site today. Love it! Regarding
    the Corner of Grimston Avenue & Sandgate Road, Folkestone: Thanks to Chris, Steev & Google maps.
    I just stepped into a 1913 photo and took a stroll down the street. All I can say is, “Amazing.” Thanks guys.